Upon graduating from law school, Mr. Lightner served as law clerk to the Honorable Russell G. Clark, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Western District of Missouri. In 1984, after completing his clerkship with Judge Clark, Mr. Lightner joined Ron Baird in private practice in Springfield, Missouri and has continued in that capacity ever since.
During Mr. Lightner’s 35+ years of practice, he has emphasized trial practice and has been involved in litigation ranging from class actions and collective actions to wrongful death suits, personal injury litigation, business litigation, real estate litigation, products liability and government liability. He has acted as lead counsel in multiple jury trials as well as complex court trials, all at the state and federal court level. His present emphasis is litigation defense of public entities and law enforcement.
- Missouri, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1991
- Drury University, B.S., summa cum laude, 1979
- University of Missouri – Columbia, J.D., 1982
Professional & Community Activities
- Missouri Bar Association
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association (prior board member)
- Missouri Supreme Court Advisory Committee, 1992-1999
- Abou Ben Adhem Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S. (Temple Attorney)
Mr. Lightner has been granted the distinction of an AV™ Preeminent rating by the Martindale Hubbell Association® Peer and Judicial Review, its highest rating. The rating, 5.0 out of 5.0 is a reflection of his experience as an attorney, as well as high professional and ethical standards.
- Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2018
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers® 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018