J. Matthew Miller began his legal career at Baird Lightner Millsap in 2001 and became a partner in the firm in 2007. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Missouri and returned to Springfield to practice law. He focuses his work on Family Law, Appellate Practice, and Mediation, and has extensive experience with Guardianships, Conservatorships, and other Probate Litigation.
Mr. Miller has litigated over 40 cases in Missouri appellate courts. In 2014, he was awarded the David J. Dixon Appellate Advocacy Award by the Missouri Bar Association in recognition of outstanding achievement in appellate practice.
In 2010, he received a Mediation Certificate from the University of Missouri and has been admitted to serve as court-appointed mediator in the 31st Judicial Circuit. He has made professional visits to courts in Connecticut (2009), India (2013. 2014, and 2019), and Israel (2019) to meet with judges and attorneys and study innovative methods of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Mr. Miller is dedicated to service in the church and community. He has provided pro bono representation to impoverished individuals through Legal Services of Southern Missouri since he began practicing law in 2001. He volunteers at the Springfield Community Men’s Homeless Shelter and enjoys coaching a baseball team for special needs individuals in the Springfield Miracle League.
- B.S. University of Missouri magna cum laude 1998
- J.D. University of Missouri 2001
- M.A. Duke Divinity School summa cum laude 2017
Speaking Engagements and Published Works
- “Post-Trial Litigation & Preservation of the Record for Appeal”—Christian County Bar Association
- “Legal Systems of the New Asian Economic Giants: China & India—Lok Adalat Alternative Dispute Resolution”—Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- “Division and Valuation of Property and Debts; Legal issues; and Preparing the Case for Trial”—The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Bar Association Deskbook—Sources of Proof: “Presumptions” (2014)